Saturday, February 14, 2009

My sweet little valentine

Today, Mason and I were snuggled up in the chair reading "The Napping House." For those not lucky enough to have memorized that book, the last page (in the board book version, anyway) features the granny, the child, the dog, etc. all playing outside in beautiful sunny weather. Over the house is a rainbow.

I don't know whether Mason really had a concept of a rainbow. But, as we got to that page, I said, "do you see a rainbow?" We pointed at it and talked about the picture. Then I handed him the book to "read" and started talking with Jamey, with Mason still sitting on my lap. I hear him saying something over and over again... "Rainbow Nuckshun, Rainbow Nuckshun. MOMMY! RAINBOW NUCKSHUN!" It dawns on me... The Rainbow Connection. You know, the song brought to us by Kermit the Frog.

I learned the song in elementary school-- we had a spring performance that was rainbow-themed and our music teacher taught us a ton of rainbow songs. I still remember them.

Anyway, I've been singing that song to Mason... well, I don't know how long-- a very long time, most of his life. It's part of my repertoire when he's having trouble settling down at night and needs an extra song. Or sometimes, after we've said prayers, JAMEY wants an extra song. It's almost always "The Rainbow Connection" that I sing.

M: "Rainbow Nuckshun, Mommy!"
JG: "The Rainbow Connection?"
M: Nods. "Rainbow Nuckshun, Mommy! Ni-Night, sing Rainbow Nuckshun!"

So, he's been listening. During all the sweet snuggles, the sleepless struggles, and moments in the dark, he was listening. And now he knows what a rainbow is.

The song includes the lyrics, "Someday we'll find it, the Rainbow Connection..." And today, my sweet boy found it, along with the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Jen

2 comments:

  1. I love this update and i really want you to add the one about who's cute and who's not, EVEN though i personally am NOT cute, by MasonStandards. Now, i hope this will allow me to post, because i've had a problem with it before. Here goes...love to all! marmar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweet! This is why i read the book Love You Forever to my Montessorians; i don't really like the book, but if i have a child who feels unloved, and s/he comes to believe that after s/he is asleep, a parent comes in and sings to her/him, then i'll read that book! I thank God that Mason will NEVER doubt that he is cherished! Y'all are great parents!

    ReplyDelete